Notice of Motion for Chamber By-law Change
Motion will be put to vote at our Annual General Meeting on November 14.
BY-LAW AMENDMENTS PROPOSED BY KEN WOODWARD:
A. RESTRUCTURING OF EXECUTIVE AND BOARD
RESOLVED: That paragraphs 5.01 through 5.05, and 5.18 of the By-Laws of the Tri-Cities Chamber of Commerce be deleted, and replaced with the following:
5.01 The Government of the Chamber shall be vested in the Board consisting of the President, the Vice-President, the Treasurer, and ten at-large Directors.
5.02 At the Annual General Meeting of the Chamber a majority of the Members present shall elect:
- (a) the President, the Vice-President and the Treasurer, each of whom shall hold office for a term of one year:
- (b) five Directors, each of whom shall hold office for a term of two years; and
- (c) up to five additional Directors, where required to fill casual vacancies arising since the previous Annual General Meeting in order that the total number of Directors holding office immediately after the Annual General Meeting is ten, each of whom shall hold office for a term of one year.
5.03 If at any Annual General Meeting there are more than five vacancies for the position of Director, the five candidates for election as Director who receive the greatest number of votes shall be elected pursuant to subparagraph 5.02(b) for a term of two years, and the remaining elected candidates shall be elected pursuant to subparagraph 5.02(c) for a term of one year.
5.04 The term of office of each person elected to the Board shall be the first day of January next following the date of their election.
5.05 The immediate Past President of the Chamber of Commerce shall be an ex officio Member of the Board.
5.18 There shall be an Executive Committee of the Board consisting of the President, the immediate Past President, the Vice-President and the Treasurer, and up to two members of the Board appointed by the President. A quorum of the Executive Committee shall consist of four members, including the President or his or her designate. The Executive Committee shall deal with the following:
- a) correspondence to and from the Chamber unless deemed by the Chair to require a decision from the Board;
- b) personnel including hiring, firing, remuneration and terms of employment of such staff as the Executive Committee may deem appropriate;
- c) the day-to-day administration of the Chamber;
- d) such other issues as the Board may delegate from time.
Minutes of meetings of the Executive Committee shall be taken and available for Members of the Board. If any Member of the Board who is not a Member of the Executive Committee disagrees with a decision of the Executive Committee, he or she may raise the issue at the next meeting of the Board. The decision of a majority of the Board shall be final on such issue.
- AMENDMENTS TO OFFICERS’ TITLESRESOLVED: That the Tri-Cities Chamber of Commerce amend its Constitution and By-laws to change, in each case where the word appears, the title of “Chair” to “President” and the title of “First Vice Chair” to “Vice-President”, and that all references to the offices of Second Vice Chair and Third Vice Chair shall be deleted.