Temporary Income Support
Canada Emergency Response Benefit
Canadians who have lost income due to COVID-19 have access to $2000 a month for the next 4 months.
- Replaces the Emergency Care Benefit and Emergency Support Benefit to streamline the process.
- This Benefit covers:
- Full-time, part-time, contractors, self-employed.
- Those who are sick, quarantined, taking care of someone sick, or at home taking care of children.
- Those still employed but not receiving income.
- The application portal will open soon.
- Applicants will receive the money within 10 days of applying.
More information to be announced.
Employment Insurance Benefits
Several measures are being taken by Employment and Social Development Canada:(ESDC) to assist employees who have been laid off or are unable to work due to quarantine.
- Canadians who are already receiving EI regular and sickness benefits as of today would continue to receive their benefits and should not apply to the CERB.
- If their EI benefits end before October 3, 2020, they could apply for the CERB once their EI benefits cease,
- if they are unable to return to work due to COVID-19. Canadians who have already applied for EI and whose application has not yet been processed would not need to reapply.
- Canadians who are eligible for EI regular and sickness benefits would still be able to access their standard EI benefits, if still unemployed, after the 16 weeks covered by the CERB.
- The portal for accessing the CERB is targeted to be available in early April.
- EI eligible Canadians who have lost their job can continue to apply for EI here, as can Canadians applying for other EI benefits.
- Canadians will begin to receive their CERB payments within ten days of application.
- The CERB will be paid every four weeks and be available from March 15, 2020, until October 3, 2020.