Workplace Accessibility Grant
Last updated: June 7, 2021
The Workplace Accessibility Grant program provides direct financial assistance towards creating an inclusive work environment for persons with disabilities, and small business employers in BC can apply for grants of up to $1,000.
The grant will be administered beginning Monday, June 21, 2021, through Saturday, April 30, 2022, on a first-come, first-served basis.
Scroll down to find information on the following:
Visit the Workplace Accessibility Grant website for full details.
What the Grant Can Be Used For
The Workplace Accessibility Grant can be used, though not exclusively, for the following items:
- Environment: ramps, lighting levels, accessible washrooms, adaptions to vehicles, etc.
- Attitudes: anti-bias training
- Practices: training to review and amend interview processes, ASL interpreting for new staff orientation, accessibility audit of workflow, etc.
- Policies: funding for legal and consulting advice in revising policies, time for staff to revise policies, etc.
- Information and Communication: job task checklists in pictorial form, ASL version of policies, application forms accessible to screen readers, reprinting hardcopies of material in large font, Braille versions of documents, update web-pages for accessibility, etc.
- Technologies: purchasing software that enables the production of accessible documents, flashing fire alarms for Deaf employees, specialized headsets, tablet for communication, laptop to allow someone to work from home, specialized tools, etc.
The full list of eligible covered services by types of barriers addressed can be found here.
To be eligible for the Workplace Accessibility Grant, an organization must meet the following requirements:
- Be a small or medium-sized business with between 1-50 employees.
- The business must be based in and operate within British Columbia, and have been registered in BC at the time of invoice submission.
- The business will have to declare their general information (name of business, owner, contact information, banking information (for an EFT of grant funds) and provide a covering memo describing the item(s) and/or service(s) they are purchasing (or have purchased since a year prior) as well as a receipt(s) or invoice(s) which will become part of their file.
The grant program will be administered beginning Monday, June 21, 2021, through Saturday, April 30, 2022, on a first-come, first-served basis, with the maximum allowable grant being $1,000 per business.
The application process is as follows:
- Read the eligibility criteria and, if applicable, register for the grant online.
- Create an account providing your business information, contact information, and BC business registration number.
- Submit an invoice of purchase related to the purchase of any accessible services.
- After review, reimbursement for the invoice is paid up to a maximum of $1000.